Ereignis Center for Philosophy and the Arts
Ereignis Center for Philosophy and the Arts is an organisation for research, education, and outreach based in Norway and Poland with a global reach and international membership. The purpose of the Ereignis Center is to research, teach, host events, and disseminate the Ereignis philosophy. The Center is neutral in questions of party politics.
Register. It’s free.
Ereignis Center for Philosophy and the Arts is grounded on the belief that to understand something means that we take possession of it. Ereignis is a term from German, meaning a happening, or to make something one’s own.
In this spirit the Center organises:
- Teaching: Through the Ereignis Institute we offer online courses, live seminars, and mentoring programmes. Our multidisciplinary approach to teaching is founded on a basic trust in students. We do not reduce students to metrics, and therefore, our programme is without exams. We seek those who have a genuine desire to learn. With us, you will find professors and instructors who listen carefully to their students and try to understand each student’s particular circumstance and background.
- Events: We collaborate with scholars, academic institutions, artists, and other creative collectives to generate spaces to meet and exchange views, insights, and creative practices. Keynote speakers at the Ereignis Conference has included renowned, cutting-edge academics, such as James Bahoh (Memphis), Lucy Huskinson (Bangor), Vivek Narayanan (George Mason), and Gisle Selnes (Bergen), with new speakers and presenters featured every year. Our summer school includes events and activities that seek to challenge the boundaries between strictly academic work and artistic and experiential modes of knowledge and practice.
- Research: Our multidisciplinary research into topics in philosophy, psychoanalysis, and cultural theory prepares the ground for enhanced perception and improved quality of life. Our studies has been presented at many international conferences, and our associated scholars have had their results published in acclaimed journals and monographs.
- Publications: Our publisher Tankebanen forlag and its English-language imprint utopos publishing make available excellent scholarship, fiction and art. We publish the international peer-reviewed journal Inscriptions.
Board and administration
Ereignis Center for Philosophy and the Arts is governed by a board with the following members (2021-2023):
- Torgeir Fjeld, Head and Executive Director;
- Knut-Erik Hauslo, Director of Ereignis Education; and
- Patrycja Fjeld, Art Director.
All multimedia files published by Ereignis Center are in the public domain or marked as in the ownership of the artist. Please do not copy or reuse content that is not explicitly marked as under the CC BY-NC license.
Last updated: 30 October, 2023